Extreme Power Headphone Amplifier & Reference-Class USB DAC .
• CC Mode (Class Compliant / 'Plug n Play' on Mac, Windows and iOS)
• SteadyClock FS (digital clock with femtosecond accuracy)
o 1 x USB 2.0 (USB 3.0 compatible)
o 1 x SPDIF Input (coaxial)
o 1 x ADAT or SPDIF Input (optical)
o 1 x RCA Analog Stereo Output (unbalanced)
o 1 x XLR Analog Stereo Output (balanced)
o 1 x “Extreme Power“ Headphone Output
o 1 x “Super Low Noise" IEM Output
In 2016 RME released the RME ADI-2 Pro . With a lot of fresh ideas, innovative features and numerous useful functions it rolled up the AD/DA converter scene and quickly became a reference for both AD- and DA conversion. Equipped with two Extreme Power headphone outputs it also found its way into HiFi and home use, getting countless rave reviews for its sound, flexibility and technical prowess.
To address the home and HiFi users, RME exchanged some of the Pro's studio features with typical home and HiFi ones. With an adapted feature set and much simplified operation RME proudly presents the ADI-2 DAC. Built on the technology, concept and features of the ADI-2 Pro, the DAC concentrates on DA conversion in top high-end quality, along with two exceptional headphone and IEM outputs, and - a remote control.
Packed into the compact half 19" format factor, this little gem is filled with the finest high-end electronics, offering a reference class conversion from SPDIF coaxial and optical (ADAT compatible) and USB to RCA, XLR, TRS and min-TRS.
As the most versatile DAC available, the ADI-2 DAC offers balanced/unbalanced analog I/Os, an Extreme Power headphone output, a super low noise IEM output, SteadyClock FS, 4-stage hardware output level control, DSP-based signal processing, external power supply operation, Class Compliant USB compatibility, sample rates up to 768 kHz as well as DSD and Direct DSD playback.
The SPDIF input signal can even be recorded via USB - as one would expect from RME the DAC is a true 2 channel Full Duplex audio interface.
With the DAC RME engineers took the opportunity to slightly enhance the DAC's analog output stage to be even more perfect as it already was. More relays, a different double symmetrical attenuator circuit and one additional buffer OP amp succeed in less noise and less THD.
As the DAC-chip is the limiting factor here this is hard to measure, but nevertheless an important improvement, especially at lower hardware output levels typical for Cinch/RCA usage. The new hardware reference levels of +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu and -5 dBu also add to this.
The headphone revolution not only brought headphones but also IEMs (in ear
monitors) back into the attention of audiophiles and music lovers. Modern
IEMs have a reference sound that easily competes with bulky over-ear
headphones, making them not only a mobile alternative, but also an
interesting solution in home.
Modern IEMs are extremely sensitive and operate on very low voltages. As a side effect they uncover the noise floor of the player, DAC or headphone amp. When RME developed its Extreme Power headphone stage the basic noise floor was taken care to be as low as possible. Which was then confirmed in many reviews (most black background…). Even when used with IEMs.
Still RME wanted to make sure that even the most sensitive IEM combined with the most sensitive listener receive the full dynamic range on playback. Also capable outputs like the Extreme Power ones are not fully safe against operating errors and might blow up ears or IEMs.
RME's solution: adding the most advanced IEM output imaginable as second phones connection to the front of the ADI-2 DAC. Its ground noise floor is an astounding 10 dB lower than the one of the Extreme Power output (black hole background…), output impedance is near zero Ohms, THD reaches new record lows, click-free on/off is included as well as volume ramp-up, and the sound quality with any IEM is just amazing. We're sure you will love it!
• Lock Range: 28 kHz – 200 kHz
• Jitter suppression: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)
• Jitter when synced to input signal: < 1 ns
• Accepts Consumer and Professional format
• 1 x RCA, according to IEC 60958
• High-sensitivity input stage (< 0.3 Vpp)
• AES/EBU compatible (AES3-1992)
• 1 x optical, according to IEC 60958
• ADAT compatible
• Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +7/+13/+19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1 dBu: 115,4 dB RMS unweighted, 118,9 dBA
• Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 0 Hz – 20.2 kHz
• Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 0 Hz – 44.9 kHz
• Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 88 kHz
• Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
• Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz
• THD @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
• THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -110 dB, 0.00032 %
• THD @ -3 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %
• Channel separation: > 120 dB
• Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced
As XLR output, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
• Output level 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +1/+7 dBu: 114/116 dB RMS unweighted, 117/119 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -5 dBu: 109 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA
As RCA but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced, stereo
• Output impedance: 0.1 Ohm
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +22 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +7 dBu: 116 dB RMS unweighted, 119 dBA
• Output level at 0 dBFS, High Power, load 100 Ohm or up: +22 dBu (10 V)
• Output level at 0 dBFS, Low Power, load 8 Ohm or up: +7 dBu (1.73 V)
• THD @ +18 dBu, 32 Ohm load, 1.2 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
• THD+N @ + 18 dBu, 32 Ohm load: -107 dB, 0.00045 %
• THD @ +14 dBu, 16 Ohm load, 0.94 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
• Max power @ 0.001% THD: 1.5 W per channel
As Phones, but:
• Output level at 0 dBFS: -3 dBu, 0.55 V
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ -3 dBu: 115 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA
• Max power, 8 Ohm, 0.001% THD: 40 mW per channel
• Included power supply: external switching PSU, 100 - 240 V AC, 2 A, 24
• Standby power consumption: 120 mW (10 mA)
• Idle power consumption: 7 Watts, Max. power consumption: 18 Watts
• Idle current at 12 V: 570 mA (6.8 Watts)
• Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 52 x 150 mm (8.5" x 2.05" x 5.9")
• Weight: 1.0 kg ( 2.2 lbs)
• Temperature range: +5° up to +50° Celsius (41° F up to 122°F)
• Relative humidity: < 75%, non condensing